Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Let's Visit the Dentist

I feel very anxious when I have to visit the dentist.

This is not made better when I have to take a bunch of tiny people to the dentist. Actually, the addition of four smallish children really doesn't make anything easier.

I showed up on time. I am very good about this kind of thing; I get places on time. I don't think they actually anticipated that I would be on time, because the children were seen late. I know this is the type of thing that makes childfree people hate me, but I do think that whenever possible, large-ish groups of children should be processed promptly. This is for everyone's comfort. I do my best in waiting rooms, but it's often not very good.

This time, Lollipop found herself a little old lady and decided to perform Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for her. She also strewed pompoms all over the waiting room, but close enough.

The oldest child informed the dental hygienist that she does not go to school. In fact, she has _never_ gone to school. But not to worry! Because she can read!

The second child informed the dental hygienist that he has a little sister named Lollipop that he loves-loves-loves. He's getting another sibling. He's excited to meet the new sibling. But he loves Lolly. Lolly is so cute and so fun and she should go to the waiting room and meet Genome's little sister.

The third child. Oh, the third child.

First he wouldn't get in the seat. "He's nervous," I explained to the hygienist. "Very nervous." She looked nervous too. I held his hand. He cried. I was holding a large child in the other arm. The older two were milling about. She moved towards him with a very harmless looking instrument and he clamped his mouth shut. "You'll get a prize. Open your mouth and you can get a prize." He opened it perhaps half an inch.

She almost touched him with the instrument.

"Gaga! Gaga googoo!" he burst out. "Gaga gaga!"

"What's he doing?"

This seemed obvious. "He's pretending to be a baby in the hopes of getting out of this."

"He's pretending to be a baby?"

"I a baby! I a baby! Gaga googoo!"

". . . really?"

"Yes, really."

"Is he always like this?"

Yes. He is always like this. His whole life has been like this.

Does anyone know the minimum age for Valium? Preferably the extended release type? Because one of the two of us is going to need a lot.

9 comments:

  1. That's fine. Trips to the dentist should be all right, long as the basics are well-covered, such as proper dental tech and expert treatment. Those are all you need to be at ease because the rest are more of perception. All the best!

    Weston Wadlington @ Peak Family Dentistry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your children are so adorable. It's totally understandable that you felt anxious to take all of them at the dentist in one day. It's hard enough to get one child to cooperate, what more would four do? At any rate, I think you did a great job in getting all of them through that dental appointment. Thanks for sharing that! All the best to your family! :)

    Rudy Spencer @ LBDP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this information. I have to let you know I concur on several of the points you make here and others may require some further review, but I can see your viewpoint. Dentist Mequon WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon!.
    dental implants

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scared of the dentist? Don't be! Read more about our tips and tricks for overcoming your fear of the dentist! nhp dentist

    ReplyDelete
  6. Successful Smiles Wisconsin This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog post you have shared here. Thank you Dentist near me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks Metlife dentist in 78734 Lakeway Texas

    ReplyDelete